Introducing the 1:1 Program
We are thrilled to announce the implementation of a 1:1 (one computer for every one student). This Program will introduce chromebooks to 2nd-8th grade & the iPad Program for K-1st grade this school year 2017-18. Chromebooks are laptops created by Google to harness the use of the Google platform and Google Apps to make working more streamlined. They are very cost effective, they have a long battery life, and boot up quickly and easily. We are very excited for how this technology will improve our classroom environment.
Technology has become an increasingly important tool in our lives. St. Therese School recognizes the importance of preparing students for the 21st Century skills necessary to be successful at school and at work. Each student will need a Chromebook or iPad that will be used in the classroom and\or at home (for certain grades) for educational purposes. The 1:1 program is being used all over the world with positive results in student learning and engagement. Teachers will be using computer technology for instruction, assignments, projects, research and assessment. The 1:1 program will also allow teachers to better meet individual student needs and facilitate the learning of each student. We are excited to teach the students to establish a professional learning community where they are engaged and excited to meet the demands of the 21st century.
The Chromebooks will impact the classroom in many ways:
Most classroom textbooks will be ebooks.
- This will reduce the number of books students need to carry around as well as giving students access to their textbooks at any time. Teachers will be able to give better feedback on projects and assignments.
- Students will have the ability to collaborate with teachers before the project or assignment is due instead of waiting for communication after the final product is completed. Submitting assignments will be more streamlined.
- Students will be able to receive and submit almost assignments online so lost and misplaced papers will become a problem of the past and teachers will be able to see papers in real time.
- Students and teachers will have immediate access to the internet for research and educational purposes.
- Students will be able to use the Google platform to collaborate on projects and assignments.
- Students will be able to use the Google platform to ask each other questions and work together from anywhere in a safe and monitored environment.
The Chromebooks & iPads will be the property of St.Therese School and we encourage your children to use them as much as they can during the year. The Purchase will include the Device, power supply, 3 year warranty and Management. After the 3 years we will then replace them with new ones. Keep in mind during the 3 years your Chromebook will follow to your grades you move to.
This is an exciting change for all grade students, teachers, and for St. Therese School as a whole. The immediate access to computers will have a beneficial effect on the education we can provide and keep St. Therese School Competitive in the education space as a Private Catholic School.
We are eager to take another step in academic excellence at St. Therese School.
At the end of August we are asking all 6th-8th grade students & 1 parent to attend the hands-on class for the chromebooks, that will be provided to them with the ebooks available. Other grade students and parents are welcome to attend for information only.
All students in Grades 6-8 will be required to complete a contract for borrowing Chromebook, this will be sent to each parent to complete prior to training:
Help Section for using chromebook: https://support.google.com/chromebook#topic=3399709
Downloading PDF books to chromebook (Middle School): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-HXfoWI0bZZeVd4Ni1zMTI3RzA
Chromebook Shortcuts: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/183101?hl=en
Managing Bookmarks: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/188842?hl=en&ref_topic=2586065
Chromebook Model for 2017-18: HP Inc. Chromebook 11 G5 - Celeron N3060
To Purchase additional Power supplies: Coming Soon
Warranty company: Safeware